Like cat or baby
sitting on our lap,
and how often we have to pee
or grab the kettle
but we share that moment with our heart and our head
and we sit still.
We don’t get up
because to disturb the beauty
would be oh so unsatisfying.
You’ll feel scared but you won’t express it. Because you haven’t thought it over to understand why you’re scared.
And when you figure out why,
you won’t express it
because now you have figured it out
you are not scared.
It is okay to ask for quiet time.
If you need to recharge, regroup, reassess.
It’s okay to let me know.
To be respectful and mindful to the feelings that come with being human.
Knowing what kind of action or non-action will sadden or frustrate one another.
Let us be soft. So that we get the most out of each other.
Teach each other it’s okay to be vulnerable to express our needs or desires; that we won’t run if we tell or get told.
It’s okay to request things. It’s okay to need things from me.
A certain way to love, to listen, to communicate.
It is okay.
I like you so much it’s pretty well love.
Find out if you depend on others for your happiness.
And then don’t.
We catch colds and planes and ways to blame,
we catch glances and our breath, we catch wind of what comes next.
We catch ourselves being much too invasive, we catch ourselves between rocks and hard places.
We catch waves and rays of sun, we catch snowflakes on our tongues.
We catch each other in lies,we catch each others eyes,
we catch each others drift and we catch each other lifts.
We get caught off guard, get caught on camera and caught up with the motion of the earth,
we catch ourselves belittling our own sense of worth.
We catch up on our paperwork, we catch up with our friends, we catch the last 12 minutes of a game that’s going to end.
Our world catches fire, our hearts do too,
after all we’re all quite the catch, and that’s the damn truth.
Morning bus and afternoon bus,
when it stops and the lights go on and the stop sign out,
and my child gets off the bus safely.
Every single time
when there are cars that have stopped,
I acknowledge the people inside of them.
Not all people follow laws,
sometimes I acknowledge the people that do.
I turn and I wave
to let them know
I appreciate their red tail lights.
When you bite your tongue
a heart corner of mine
I need you to speak your insides.
All the minutes
of any second.
Even if scary and dark,
even if you know it will hurt me.
When your tongue is bitten
you only ever stay where your words are.
I need you outside-
to see and hear and feel your insides
on the outside.
Then you’ll know that
your whole being
is being loved.
And not just your representative.
We are all customers.
At some point in our week, our month, we carry that title.
Here’s ways we can be better ones :
- Sometimes we see people we haven’t seen in a really long time. So we park our carts, swoop in for a hug and let the excitement, feigned surprise, whatever it is, drop out of our faces and land in the aisle that we are…oblivious we are blocking. This old new friend may be speeling on what is new in their life and how the old is really quite new to you because it’s been so long ‘ Has it REALLY been this long Megan!? ‘, but you NEED to interrupt them and move out of the way!
I get it, I really do- we want it to be as real and unchoppy and least awkward as possible. The last thing we’re focusing on is the slowly growing line behind us and that one behind them? We’re totally ignoring it! It’s easier!
But no! Make the cut in the convo and use 10 seconds to situate in a more appropriate place.
Better yet, get their number and schedule a catch-up date!
- So you see me – the employee- bent over a box of chicken noodle soup, quietly working away. I look up and politely say hello when I see you and you do the same and proceed to walk the decently long amount PAST me to the checkout. Yo. Just tell me you’re going to the counter, that you’re done your shopping. Then you don’t have to be waiting for me when you get there and we both don’t have to feel stupid. Deal? Deal!
- Please for the love of Peter Pan, ( and if you don’t love him, then Belle !) , don’t get upset with me for something I can’t fix. I understand, you’re frustrated, stressed and I have no idea how your day has been. Of course, you don’t know how mine has been either and all that your madness does for me is make it difficult to continue being nice to other customers. Customers that are you on any other given day. The issue does not get fixed with anger and specially on someone that can do nothing but call the Manager up. If you’re going to be angry about it, at least spare me the wrath and just ask for the head guy in the first place.
- I know not all machines need to know whether it’s debit or credit you have. And I know it’s part of my job to ask you which one you are using. But please don’t just shove or swipe or tap before we punch it into our computer. Let’s figure out which payment method you’re using and then wait till I say it’s good to go. Many attempt and get annoyed when it doesn’t go through all because they were 3 seconds too quick.
- This may be a really obvious one but I still get the occasional person on their phone. A lady actually paid, kept the bags I had just packed on the counter and proceeded to text while two people stood behind her waiting. Ouch.
- I know it’s not always the way, but try and shop when you aren’t in a hurry. Everything takes way longer when you are and a lot of times your impatience is obvious and even contagious.
- Please refrain from wearing headphones?! This may be just a tiny, tacky one that is mostly just personal. But I feel insulted when you show up to pay with them inside your ears- even if the music is turned off. I just feel slightly disrespected.
- I’ve seen this too many times but it’s one of my bigger pet peeves with customers.
That 87 year old man? Yeah, he may be slower and about as brittle as chalk, but do NOT weasel your way past him as he’s trying to get his Parkinsons’ hand of coins into his pocket. Only just to plop your items vehemently down on the counter before he has even taken his off, thus left still waiting because I will not begin to scan you through until he is well on his way! Respect the genuine slow of people and be patient. If you’re gonna drop your goods in line because they’re getting heavy,ask the person behind you to hold your spot and snag a basket and vow next time you’ll pick one up on the way in.
So those are some things perhaps we can remember and all get better at practicing!
I know we all slip up every now and then some days are more off then others, but as long as we’re aware and willing to be better.
Happy Shopping either way and remember, everyone just wants a pleasant experience whether it be customers, employees or volunteering mascot children outside of the store. Even vomiting ones IN the store.
Yay, Let’s go Happy Customering now!
Do you ever think back to a time period with someone and can’t remember who you really were?
A few years spent together with a person and you can’t bring your imagination to recreate how you were, how you felt.
Thoughts like these make me wonder me.
If I’m to change so drastically again- as perhaps is a continual cycle- then I and the people in my life will either have to adapt together on this or be left in the past.
Present me knows that whoever I end up choosing to spend my entire life with, has to know that the Future me could potentially forget who I was. That Present me will change.
So it is important that the Present Other knows my heart and my core – and loves THOSE parts of me. Not the ones that will change so extremely.